Below we have summarised the different food offers currently available in Westcott, Abinger Hammer, and Dorking.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additions which you feel will be helpful. We can then update the list.
The list has also been sent to all 61 (currently) volunteers from the village who have offered their help. The main need at the moment is ensuring that they have food and medicines. The main message however is that things are calming down and there is enough food in the shops and other suppliers to ensure no-one has a problem. Pharmacies are busy but coping. Getting supplies to people is our main volunteering focus.
Please continue to look out for the older residents in the village, and those you know have underlying health problems. If you have not seen them for a day or so please check on them without being too intrusive.
- Waitrose is open 8.00 to 19.00 each day except Sunday when it is 10.00 to 16.00. The first hour of trade is open to the elderly and vulnerable. Volunteers are not included in this group however they are limiting the number of shoppers in the store to 42 people at the time allowing customers to keep a safe distance apart and stock whilst not at normal levels it is starting to be replenished – (confirmed on 27th March as working well). Waitrose is aware that the lack of online delivery slots is causing people concern and they are trying to expand this offer particularly to the vulnerable in the community. No details available currently.
- Sainsburys have introduced a Smart Shop App (see Sainsbury’s SmartShop) so shoppers can scan their own food and have limited contact with staff and scanners whilst in the shop. They too are limiting shoppers in the store at any one time. The opening hours are 8.00 to 20.00 with Sunday hours 10.00 to 16.00. In addition Monday, Wednesday and Friday NHS and social workers, the elderly and the vulnerable only are allowed to shop from 8.00 to 9.00. Sainsburys are contacting many vulnerable and elderly people using the Nectar card database to offer delivery slots. If you have not been contacted this link may help https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable to register as someone who is vulnerable you are also able to apply on someone else’s behalf.
- Lidl opening hours are 8.00 to 20.00 and 10.00 to 16.00 on Sundays. It’s not clear that they have a vulnerable priority time slot.
- Marks and Spencer’s opening times are 8.30 to 19.00 midweek, 8.00 to 19.00 Saturdays and 10.00 to 16.00 on Sundays. They are also offering quieter times for certain groups – elderly and vulnerable first hour of opening on Monday and Thursday and NHS and Emergency Workers on Tuesday and Friday.
- Cook in St Martin’s Walk if you have space in your freezer have good quality frozen homemade meals and desserts. They also offer free delivery for orders over £40 and a click and collect service. Opening hours are 9.30 to 4.30 with Sunday 10.30 to 3.00.
- Kingfisher Farm Shop (Abinger Hammer) are offering a delivery service. Email them on email@example.com listing what you want. If you need to discuss anything the telephone number is 01306 730 703. Apparently they deliver a day or so after receiving the order. I assume you can pay over the phone to avoid handling cash.
- Dorking Butchery – a personal favourite of mine! These chaps have delivered in the village but have suspended the service as some of the team have fallen ill. They are planning to resume service once the staff levels improve. Telephone the order via 01306 640519 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org . They take payment over the phone and deliver on Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday.
- Dorking Deli – are offering a produce box for £20. They will take cash payment but please put it in an envelope. The exact contents can vary but essentially milk, bread, vegetables. You can add coffee, cheese and honey on request. Will deliver in the village on Tuesday and Friday – email orders on email@example.com or call to discuss 01306 743 203.
- Phoenix Frozen Foods is a company from the south coast that will deliver with a minimum spend of £15. Their web site is phoenixfrozenfoods.co.uk or telephone 01903 215 170. The web site looks professional and the offer is very broad.
- Westcott Bakery continues to be open (7am to 3pm, Saturday early closing, Sunday closed)) for bread and basics (although dry good stocks at the moment (27/03/20) are lower than normal but expected to be replenished in the next couple of days). Phone Cam with your order on 01306 882667 and he will have it ready for you or someone else to collect.
- Boots in Dorking is closed
- Medwyn Pharmacy, Friths, and Woodcocks are all open in Dorking but you should check before visiting to see if anything has changed.
- Riverbank Surgery is operating normally for repeat prescriptions
Take-away restaurant services
- The Prince of Wales, Westcott is offering take-away meals. Either call (01306 889699) or go onto their facebook page and Rob will be happy to help.
- Kinghams in Shere is offering a takeaway service. They issue a daily menu £20 for three courses and £15 for two courses. Pre orders are placed during certain times and you pick the food up from the car park. Telephone 01483 202168 for further information.
- The Abinger Hatch, Abinger is offering take-away meals, and has also started up a temporary village store. Go online to view their menu and grocery basket. This may be more local for some of the more outlying residents of the village. www.theabingerhatch.com or phone 01306 730737